Southwestern Style Slow Cooker Red Chicken Chili
Easy to prepare, and it's like having a bowl of chicken enchiladas. :) My slow cooker's low setting tends to cook on the hot side, but yours may be different. Use your own discretion for cooking setting and time.
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 25mins
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large white onions, chopped medium
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped medium
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (chili-ready)
- 1 hot red chili pepper, whole (or 1 jalapeno pepper, minced)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, left whole
- 1 teaspoon salt
- shredded cheese, sour cream, diced onion to garnish
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Sautee onion, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin and mexican oregano until vegetables are tender. Deglaze pan with chicken broth, scraping up any brown bits, and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, corn, black beans, salt, and the chili pepper to the slow cooker. Stir it all together.
- Nestle the chicken breasts into the mixture, cover, and cook on low for about 4.5 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and shred, and return to the crock. Add chopped cilantro, stir, and continue to cook about another half hour.
- Serve garnished with shredded cheese, sour cream and diced onion. Tortilla chips an added bonus for scooping. :).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION