Recipe by Lille
An easy borscht recipe that uses some pantry ingredients. I've been making this recipe since 1992.
- 1 (14 ounce) can beets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef stock, condensed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- fresh dill (to garnish)
- sour cream or yogurt, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain beets and reserve liquid. Chop beets.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat oil and butter. Cook onion until softened. Add garlic, cabbage and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is slightly softened. Add chopped beets, reserved beet liquid, tomatoes, water, stock, vinegar, sugar and dried dill.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until cabbage is very soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, garnish each bowl with sour cream and chopped fresh dill.