Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Casserole my daughter came up with for home ec.
- 2 lbs hamburger meat
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn, drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chili beans
- salt and pepper
- chili powder
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 egg, sightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown the meat and the onions in a large pot.
- Drain the meat and add canned vegetables and salt, pepper, chili powder, and paprika.
- Cook for a few minutes until warmed through.
- Pour into a casserole dish.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Mix all other ingredients together to make cornbread topping.
- Pour batter over cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cornbread is done.