Recipe by One Happy Woman
This is less recipe than method and ingredients. Delicious. If your Mr. Wonderful doesn't like goat cheese - gorgonzola would also work. This is a beautiful salad - glistening deep red gratings of beets, greens and dots of goat cheese.
Top Review by Stella8037
What a beautiful salad! I had never cooked with beets before (wear an apron if you're a messy cook like me -- they stain!) My particular Mr. Wonderful did indeed opt for the gorgonzola... that rich cheese, combined with the sweet earthy-ness of the beets and the salty sunflower seeds was an amazing flavor combination! And I felt like giving myself a pat on the back for eating such a healthy meal. I'm definitely going to be making this again. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
- 1 lb beet, raw
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup olive oil
- sea salt, lemon pepper to taste
- 1⁄2 cup soft fresh goat cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
6 - 8 cups mixed greens
- baby spinach and arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the shallots with the vinegars and let stand while you process the beets and toast the sunflower seeds.
- Peel the beets and grate them or process them in the food processor until they are of coarsely grated consistency.
- Toast the sunflower seeds (I stir them up quickly in a hot stainless steel pan and remove them from the pan as soon as they start to brown).
- Mix the rest of the dressing ingredients with the vinegar/shallot mixture and add half of this to the beets and chill until ready to assemble the salad.
- Mound the greens loosely in individual dishes, and divide the beet mixture amongst the plates.
- Dot with goat cheese, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and drizzle more of the dressing on the greens.