Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Enjoy the tender sweetness of a Raspberry Crumble Muffin. This delectable gems are studded with ravishing red raspberries and topped with a buttery sweet crumble topping.
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest (see note below)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh raspberry
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal, dry
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- MUFFINS: Beat together the egg, milk, lemon zest and oil in a medium bowl.
- Mix together in a separate bowl the baking powder, white sugar, 1.5 cups sifted flour and 1/2 t. salt. Stir into the wet ingredients just until the dry ingredients are moist, about 8 rotations. Add raspberries; stir about 2-3 more times.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- STREUSEL TOPPING: Stir together the remaining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and oatmeal. Cut in with a pastry blender the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping over each muffin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. Makes about 12.
- NOTE: The key to making a truly tender muffin is in NOT overmixing your batter. Stir it as little as possible. It's OK if the batter is somewhat unevenly mixed; it "corrects" itself in baking. Sifting the dry ingredients lends to the light texture, so don't neglect this step, either. Use either a traditional sifter, or a mesh strainer to sift your ingredients.
- Try a Microplane grater for your lemon zest, or a Messermeister zester/channel tool. I find these to be the easiest way to get fresh zest from citrus. Use only the colorful exterior of the lemon-- the white peel part adds only bitterness.