My Mother's people emigrated from Scotland to Nova Scotia around 1900. This recipe came from her great aunt (married into the family) who grew up in Cape Breton and had many Acadian ancestors. I am told it is an old Acadian recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut up chickens; wash; place in stock pot with celery, carrot, onion, bay leaf, thyme and salt.
- 2Add enough water to cover well (about 5 cups).
- 3Simmer about 1 hour, or until chicken is just cooked.
- 4Remove chicken from broth; reserve broth.
- 5Skin and bone chicken; cut meat into 1 or 2 inch chunks.
- 6Peel potatoes and reserve in cold water to keep them from turning black.
- 7Grate potatoes into a bowl of cold water.
- 8When all potatoes are grated, squeeze out as much water as possible.
- 9Grease a 4-cup casserole with the 2 tablespoons butter.
- 10Spread 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom and sides of buttered casserole.
- 11Salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Place cut-up chicken pieces on top of potatoes in casserole.
- 13Spread on the remaining 1/2 of the potatoes.
- 14Measure out 4 or 5 cups of the reserved broth; bring to a boil; pour on the pie.
- 15Dot with the 3 Tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper.
- 16Bake in 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rappie Pie
Serving Size: 1 (536 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 758.7
- Calories from Fat 380
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 179.5 mg
- Sodium 807.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 43.4 g