1/1 Photo of Ranch Style Beans
This is my attempt to copycat the canned Ranch-Style Beans. I want to keep track until I get it right. If you want to jump in and help I'd love the help!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 5 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 4 ounces ham hocks
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 tablespoons combination of california chili powder (New Mexico, Hungarian Paprika. All Mild)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (for spicier beans add another 1/2 Tsp)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder or 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (add in the last 30 min only)
- 1/4 cup tomato puree (add in the last 30 min only)
- 1Wash beans and place in a large pot or kettle. Add water and remaining ingredients (except salt and tomato puree, which should be added in the last 30 minutes before beans are done). Cover and simmer for 5 to 6 hours. Check liquid level occasionally and add more water (add boiling water, never cold) as needed to keep beans covered.
- 2If cooked in a crock pot, (you will need extra cup of water if you did not pre-soak) and cook them on the low setting. It also may take a little longer than the 5 to 6 hours.
- 3Note: You can reduce cooking time by soaking beans overnight or using or (1 Hour soak method).
- 4Add ¼ Cup of tomato puree with additional 1 tsp brown sugar in the last hour. Adjust salt and sugar to your liking.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ranch Style Beans
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 75.8
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 166.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: