Recipe by Vino Girl
From Food & Family Spring 2007. I made these without the coconut by increasing both the oatmeal and cereal amounts. It changes the recipe, but it still made for a really good cookie that was crisp around the edges with a soft and chewy center.
Top Review by l.nye
My son rated these the best cookie he ever ate! I've soaked the raisins in a little warm water with 1/2 tsp vanilla or rum flavor. This recipe lends itself well to variations(and it still comes out great). I've added or substituted dried cranberries, dried cherries, walnuts, cinnamon chips and/or butterscotch chips. Yum!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats or 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Raisin Bran cereal
- 1 1⁄4 cups flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and oats; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Add cereal, coconut and raisins; stir until well blended.
- Drop heaping teaspoonfuls of dough, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until lighty browned.
- Cool on baking sheets 3 to 4 minutes; remove to wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.