opal Fitzgerald's Note:
When I first married (1950) my late husband wanted a Cream Pie with raisins. My grandmother told me how. Like my Grandmother use to make - GOOD! Be sure to try this. This one will surprise you. Raisin Cream Pie Baked 9" pie shell
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups raisins, seeded
- 2 cups water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Add raisins to water in saucepan and simmer 5 minutes.
- 2Beat egg yolks, sugar, vinegar and flour until light and creamy.
- 3Slowly add to raisins.
- 4Cook, stirring constantly, until filling is thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat, stir in butter and cool until lukewarm.
- 6Pour raisin mixture into pie shell and top with meringue.
- 7Perfect Meringue.
- 8Have egg whites at room temperature to obtain greatest volume. Place in medium bowl with cream of tartar, salt and vanilla.
- 9Beat with electric or hand beater, at medium speed, until entire mixture is frothy.
- 10Do not beat until eggs stiffen.
- 11Add sugar, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 12Do not under beat. Beat until sugar dissolves to help prevent beading.
- 13To test, rub some of meringue between your fingers to see if it is still grainy.
- 14(The grains are undissolved sugar) Continue to beat until stiff, pointed peaks for when beater is slowly lifted.
- 15Place spoonfuls of meringue around edge of pie filling, spreading it so it touches inter edge of crust to seal all around.
- 16This prevents shrinkage. Pile remainder of meringue in center of pie and spread to meet meringue around the edge. If filling is not covered completely, the oven heat may cause it to weep.
- 17Lift up meringue over pie in points with back of teaspoon.
- 18Bake in moderate oven (350 F) 12 to 15 minutes, or until meringue peaks are golden brown.
- 19Too long baking may cause weeping.
- 20Cool gradually away from drafts.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.0
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 77.3 mg
- Sodium 150.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 50.6 g
- Protein 4.7 g