Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom always made this cake at Christmas time. She would cut it in bar size pieces and put it with the Christmas cookies. It was always one of my favorites, and my dad's as well. Don't over bake and make sure you keep it in a air tight container until you are ready to eat. Measurements for the frosting are approximates. Only add enough water to make the glaze easily spreadable. These can be frozen for a couple weeks.
- 1 lb raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups flour
Frosting or Glaze Recipe
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cook 1 pound raisins and 1 cup water over medium high heat for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup cold water.
- In large mixing bowl cream ½ cup shortening and 2 cups sugar.
- Add 1 teaspoons Salt, 1 teaspoons Ginger, 1 teaspoons Cinnamon and 1 teaspoons Baking soda, mix well.
- Add raisins and water. Add 4 cups flour. Mix well.
- Put in a 13x9 inch greased baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan.
- Frost with Glaze. Cut into bar cookies.
HOW ABOUT THIS ~ A cake especially for those of us who LOVE raisins, & lots of them, at that! Was gonna make this cake to share with neighbors, but now I've decided to keep it all, freeze some to see how that goes, & EAT THE REST OF IT MYSELF! This is very, very tasty, & definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my RAISIN theme in the current My-3-Chefs event]