Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A low-fat bran muffin recipe from a book called "Eating Light and Loving It!".
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural bran
- Beat egg whites until firm peaks form and set aside.
- Combine oil, applesauce, brown sugar and molasses and beat until smooth.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and add alternately with milk to molasses mixture.
- Add bran and raisins and stir until moistened.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Spoon into muffin pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes.
We loved the muffins. They freeze well. Thanks for shairng
These are so tasty and so easy to make! I halved the recipe and didn't bother with the oil. Just added two more tablespoons of applesauce and 1/2 a tsp of cinnamon and they turned out nice and moist with even less fat. :-) Ended up with 8 med. size muffins. Definitely will make again! Thank you Zenith.
I was really looking forward to these. It's one of the first recipes I ever put into my cookbook and I finaly got around to making them. The flavor was great but they were rather tough and heavy. I made them exactly as the recipe stated.