High Fiber Low Calorie Bran Muffins
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups unprocessed millers natural bran
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 small ripe banana, mashed (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon banana extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tins with Pam and set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients, including raisins, in a large bowl.
- Blend egg whites, buttermilk, water, mashed banana and extracts in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until thoroughly combined. Fill each muffin tin 1/2 full.
- Bake 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Freeze leftovers and defrost as needed.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I did a lot of tweaking: The following amounts are due to I doubled the recipe, substituted four whole eggs for the egg whites, 1/2 C tigernut flour, 1/2 C hazelnut flour, 1C almond flour, 1C cassava flour, for all the flour. 1 C barberries for raisins Added one tsp salt Added tsp cloves Old plain whole milk yogurt with a couple tbs almond milk for buttermilk All vanilla extract, last time did combo of vanilla and anise (I don’t love the flavor of banana, though I do use the 2 bananas in the recipe) This is a very tweakable recipe! I had COVID, then afterwards Parkinson’s diagnosis. These muffins really help encourage movement! Lol