Ultra Low Fat All-Bran Muffins
photo by Anonymous
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-bran cereal, with exta fiber
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup mashed banana
- Stir together dry ingredients (except cereal), set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cereal with milk.
- Let stand 5 minutes until cereal softens.
- Add egg whites and mashed banana, mix well.
- Add flour mixture, stirring only til moistened.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cups sprayed with Pam.
- Bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
I used splenda and unsweetened applesauce for the mashed banana and skim milk. I also added 2 tsp cinnamon and sprinkled a little splenda and more cinnamon on top. I haven't made very many muffins, but previous recipes yielded puny muffins. These are better sized - about 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) batter per regular 12-muffin tin. It's soft and yummy, although bland. Maybe an addition of an extract would help. I know next time, I'll use the full 1/2 cup splenda. Maybe it was also because I didn't use a banana. In any case, I love this muffin spread with fat free cottage cheese, cinnamon, and fresh fruit. I'll have it again this morning - I'm drooling over it. Thanks ;)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a freelance writer who writes a syndicated newspaper column, and LOVES to cook and experiment with traditional and non-food recipes! More about me at http://www.kitchencraftsnmore.net