Recipe by Beth A.
Adapted from Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals. Very good! We like to use the Asian Hot chili sauce with the rooster on the label. You could use whatever you like, or omit the hot sauce if that's not to your taste.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 pint half & half light cream
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken stock
- 2 medium potatoes, shredded
- 2 (10 ounce) cans baby clams, with their juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot over medium high heat, melt butter. Add bacon and onions, celery and thyme sprigs. Season with salt, pepper, Old Bay and hot sauce and cook 5 minutes. Add flour and cook a minute more.
- Add half-and-half and stock and bring to a bubble, then stir in potatoes and clams. Bring soup back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked and soup has thickened to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove thyme sprigs before serving. The leaves will have fallen off into the soup.