Chicken fingers are popular for kids but grown-ups will love this version adapted from The Skinny Chef, with added nutrition from the quinoa. For preparing the quinoa, see Quinoa-Toasted and Plain Quinoa.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 3-inch long tenders (or buy chicken tenders)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups cooked red quinoa or 2 cups white quinoa
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spread out the quinoa on a piece of wax paper or aluminum foil. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the quinoa. With your fingertips, squeeze the quinoa and breadcrumbs together until the moisture of the quinoa is absorbed.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt, garlic powder, pepper and paprika.
- Place the egg whites in a shallow bowl. Dip the chicken in the egg and then into the quinoa mixture.
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and reduce the heat to medium. Cook each side 5 minutes or until the crust begins to brown and the chicken is no longer translucent (turn once).
- Transfer fingers to a plate and serve immediately.