Recipe by MahnaMahna
Slightly adapted Veggie Burgers recipe from Martha Stewart website. Includes 1 hour chilling time. My food processor didn't chop the mushrooms easily, so I used the shredder attachment. Also had some sprouts that my hubby was unlikely to eat on the burger so I pureed them and added them to the mix. But you could also just add them as garnishment. Or do both! Mmmm, sprouts. Other things that are good to add to the finished burger is avocado, cucumber, mustard, mayo, yogurt, salsa, lettuce, grilled veggies, etc. Yum!
Top Review by NurseAmbre
Very good burgers! I left out the sprouts because I didn't have any. I fried them in a skillet with coconut oil. I did find that making the patties thick helped them to stay together better- the thin ones just crumbled apart. Thanks!
- 2 small zucchini
- 10 medium mixed mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (3/4 cup when dry)
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 cup mixed sprouts
- 6 whole wheat buns, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped or use the grater attachment if, like mine, your processor doesn't do mushrooms well. Transfer to a bowl.
- Shred zucchini and remove excess moisture with paper towells. Add to mushrooms.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add shallot/onion and red-pepper flakes, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and zucchini, and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add Parmesan, quinoa, and salt.
- Season with pepper.
- Let cool completely, then stir in egg and breadcrumbs.
- Cover, and refrigerate until cold and firm, about 1 hour.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Shape mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, pressing firmly.
- Cook in batches until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Wipe pan clean, and return to medium heat.
- Brush cut sides of buns with oil, and heat buns, cut sides down, until toasted, about 1 minute.
- Assemble burgers and enjoy!