I love Sauerbraten, but it takes way too long to make. This recipe is inspired by the recipe "Skirt Steak Sauerbraten" in the November of the Rachael Ray Magazine. I tweaked the recipe a bit using london broil (though skirt steak or flank steak are options)then I broiled the meat to cut down on the fat rather then pan frying it. I also added a 1/2 tsp of jarred beef demi glace to the sauce as it was cooking to add deeper flavor, but it is not necessary. This recipe is terrific either way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and allspice and cook, occasionally stirring, until the onion is softened about 8-10 minutes.
- 2Stir in beef broth, vinegar and gingersnaps and cook until thickened, about 6 minutes. Season with pepper.
- 3Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, about 5-8 minutes, depending on width of noodles used. Drain, return to pot and toss with 1 tbsp olive.
- 4Meanwhile, season the steak with salt and pepper. Broil steak on high for 6 minutes each side of medium rare. Transfer to cutting board, cover with foil, and let rest. Cut steak into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 5Plate the noodles and top with the steak and sauerbraten sauce.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Steak Sauerbraten
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 805.6
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 206.3 mg
- Sodium 118.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 52.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: