Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This silky and rich version of the dish that Southerners eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner easily lives up to Chef Jan Birnbaum's colorful name for it. This is a perfect side dish for Catfish with Pecan Brown Butter
- 1419.54 ml chicken stock or 1419.54 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 473.18 ml heavy cream
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 473.18 ml quick-cooking grits
- Tabasco sauce
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock, cream, butter and garlic. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits and cook over low heat, whisking often, until thick and completely smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco and serve.
There are everyday grits and there are party grits. These are party grits. I've made this recipe dozens of times over the last five years. Friends and family request them for gatherings. I've doubled and tripled the recipe and they always come out delicious.
My bf and I were reading this recipe and he said (in a Barry White voiice): "Warning: these grits are so sexy you might find yourself not wearing any clothes by the time they're done." This recipe is very good. We were having breakfast with children so we decided to play it safe and use half the garlic (no getting naked in the kitchen when children are present ;D). I was also out of chicken stock so I subbed it with water. I will make it again using all the ingredients. Super yummy!
Nice!!! mild and delicious flavor. Made it for breakfast today. The cream gave it a buttery taste. Thanks for the recipe.