Shrimp & Cheese Grits
- Ready In:
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 12 bacon, slices coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Bring 6 cups water and salt to boil in a heavy large saucepan.
- Whisk in grits. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until mixture is thick and grits are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in 1 cup of cheese and nutmeg. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce. Cover and set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until brown but not crisp. Transfer bacon to small bowl, using slotted spoon. Pour off half of drippings from skillet.
- Add shrimp to same skillet and cook until just pink, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer shrimp to plate, using slotted spoon.
- Add mushrooms to same skillet and saute until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add green onions and garlic and saute 3 minutes.
- Return shrimp and bacon to skillet. Mix in lemon juice. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring grits to a simmer. Add water by tablespoons if grits are too thick.
- Spoon grits onto plates. Spoon shrimp mixture over. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!