Prep 25 mins
Cook 27 mins
This dish is similar to something my mom used to make. I consider this hearty, stick-to-your-ribs country fare. My 6 brothers and dad sure scarfed it down and always asked for more.
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 -3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) canhungry jack buttermilk flakey biscuits
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet with 2-inch sides, saute the sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink; stir occasionally to crumble up the sausage.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sausage mixture.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste; stir to mix.
- Cook and stir occasionally until slightly thickened.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Separate the biscuits (should have 10).
- Cut each biscuit into quarters.
- Place biscuit quarters over hot sausage mixture; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375° for 16-20 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.