Recipe by Sandra E.
I came up with this one weekend when I was really hungry and wanted something substantial but quick. My mom makes an Italian version with homemade sauce and ground pork but it takes a long time.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, heat oil and saute onion until translucent.
- Add ground meat, salt and pepper to taste and cook until no longer pink, drain if necessary.
- Add tomato sauce and heat through.
- Once rice is ready, drain well and add to pan.
- Heat through, stir in cheeses if desired.
- To fancy up, you could add chopped peppers, or more spices. I'm sure this would work just as well with any leftover meat too.