Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A yummy, healthier, gluten free version of a family favorite! **I've also made this with fresh peaches - just add a teeny bit less water and a couple of dashes of nutmeg and cook a little less - YUMMY!!**
- 4 cups apples, peeled & sliced, such as Granny Smiths
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour
- 1⁄2 cup certified gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a pie dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss together the apples, sugar, water, cornstarch, 1 teaspoons cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined. Set aside.
- Make the oatmeal topping: In a bowl, gently combine: almond flour, oats, brown sugar, 1 teaspoons cinnamon, and butter until crumbly.
- Place the apple mixture in the dish. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the apples are cooked through, the juices are bubbling, and the topping is browned. Serve, hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Leave out the sugar - apples cook up so sweet, you don't need it! If you really like it syrupy sweet, add a little apple juice concentrate instead. Best to avoid sugar whenever possible.
This was really easy to make and came out excellent. Served it at Thanksgiving and my friends destroyed the leftovers upon my bringing it back home. I am told I have to make this again for our Xmas dinner. Awesome! Also, I used almond meal instead of almond flour and it came out excellent. Definitely best served warm with vanilla ice cream!
This is an excellent easy recipe. I've started experimenting with different fruits and recently did an apple, ginger, pear and lychee combination that was pretty tasty.