1/3 Photos of Quick Chicken Mole
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Believe it or not this is a recipe that I saw Paula Deen make on TV today. Just make sure you don't make the same mistake she did- the pumpkin seeds should be shelled (pepitas) before you sprinkle them as a garnish. This recipe is much easier to prepare than most mole recipes and is best served with tortillas and rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 (8 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- pepitas, for garnish (pumpkin seeds)
- white rice, for serving
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- 3Add garlic and spices and continue to saute to toast and develop flavor.
- 4Add diced tomatoes, peppers, chipotles, broth, peanut butter, and chocolate.
- 5Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Strain and puree until smooth.
- 7Place chicken skin side down and sear the chicken in a heavy bottomed hot saute pan over medium-high heat until browned on both sides.
- 8Add to casserole dish, cover with sauce and braise in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 9Garnish with pepitas and serve with rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Chicken Mole
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 973.6
- Calories from Fat 632
- Total Fat 70.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 285.1 mg
- Sodium 560.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 71.8 g