Recipe by jessann
This stew gets alot thicker than you'd imagine. Makes a ton. I used 4 chicken leg quarters because I like dark meat.
Top Review by zaar junkie
Very tasty. I started just as the recipe stated but at the last minute excluded the curry, cream, and green onions and instead added thyme. I also subbed the peas with kale. So good! Excited to try it with curry and coconut next time.
- 4 lbs roasting chickens
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) container button mushrooms, sliced in half
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream (NOT the sweet kind for pina coladas!)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken into pieces. In a large dutch oven over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Once melted, add the chicken peices and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside until later.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots to the kettle and cook in the remaining juices. Once they have sauteed and begun to brown, add the garlic and cook for a few minutes together.
- Add the chicken back to the pot and put in the mushrooms. Add broth to just come up 1/2 way (not covering the chicken). Allow the stew to come to a simmer and then cook on low, maintaining the simmer. Cover and cook for approximately 30 minutes. Remove chicken pieces and cut off the bone in bite sized chunks.
- Add the chicken, peas, coconut cream and green onions back to the pot and cook another 2 minutes.