Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is based on the ubiquitous "Vegan Chocolate Cake." I've made some alterations so that a) it's not quite as sweet and b) it is more like a spice cake consistency.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup corn oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup rice milk
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl in the order listed up to the pumpkin puree. Add the rice milk, stirring slowly. Add more or less depending on desired consistency.
- Pour batter into a greased 8 X 8 baking pan. The batter may be thick and you may need to gently shimmy the pan in order to have it spread out entirely.
- Bake in an oven pre-heated to 350F degrees for 30 minutes. You may want to check it at 25 minutes if you a) used a different sized pan or b) made the batter slightly thinner.
I made this a few weeks back for my brother, who likes pumpkin a lot. He seemed to like it, but it didn't really do anything for me. It doesn't really have a lot of flavour (though the spices are evident), and I just don't get anything out of it.