1 hr 5 mins
There are a lot of pumpkin soup recipes, but most are creamed or bisque-like. I like the heartiness of this one. Chop the veggies rather then dice, for a more stew like feel.
My Private Note
Large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb italian sweet sausage (or 1/2 sweet, 1/2 spicey if you prefer)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced (or more if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup dry marsala wine (I've also used white Balsamic vinegar for an interesting piquant flavor)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (I've used both canned and fresh with equally good results)
- 1In a Dutch oven, over med/high heat, brown sausage in oil.
- 2When browned remove to papertowel lined plate to drain.
- 3In oil/grease saute garlic, onion, celery till slightly softened.
- 4Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more browning slightly.
- 5Add sauage back to the pot and drain off any excess grease.
- 6Deglaze hot pan with wine (or vinegar) scraping browned bits off the bottom of the pot and let wine (or vinegar) reduce by half.
- 7Add the rest of the ingredients and bring pot to a gentle boil.
- 8Reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- 9Serve with a dollop of sour cream and or croutons (pumpernickel croutons are especially nice).
- 10If soup is too thick you can thin with a bit more stock.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Soup and Sausages
Serving Size: 1 (2193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1546.4
- Calories from Fat 702
- Total Fat 78.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 163.2 mg
- Sodium 5737.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 28.8 g
- Protein 108.4 g