Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Tired of the traditional pumpkin pie? In my home this delicious alternative is always a hit. It's a moist and a delicious pound cake with the autumn flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. Great for Thanksgiving or any other fall or winter holiday gathering. Yummy as is, but for a real treat drizzle cream cheese glaze over the top and serve with a steaming cup of dark roasted coffee or a mug of mulled cidar - It's Heaven in your mouth!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 8 ounces butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon whiskey or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 cup dark plump raisins (optional)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F; position rack in lower third of oven.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or a 12-cup Bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter. Add the sugars a half-cup at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in Bourbon whiskey or vanilla and continue beating for about 3 minutes - until light and fluffy (scrape the bowl often while mixing).
- Beat the eggs with a fork in a small bowl; add to sugar mixture, one-fifth at a time. With your rubber spatula, scrape down sides of bowl as you mix.
- Add pumpkin and beat on medium speed until smooth. Reduce speed to low and slowly beat in the dry ingredients until smooth and well blended. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the raisins (optional).
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Gently spread batter evenly around pan. Bake for 55 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Cool for 15 minutes; remove from pan onto a serving plate. Cool completely.
- Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cake and sprinkle with walnuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.