Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A touch of orange juice and orange zest make this a delightfully different and delicious bread for your holiday table or for any time!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted dates
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and 1 egg, then beat in second egg until batter is smooth.
- Stir in pumpkin, orange zest and orange juice.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and spices, then add nuts and dates.
- Pour all at once into batter in mixing bowl and stir by hand only to moisten.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, them remove loaf to rack to cool completely.
Sweet, moist and very delicious! The batter was easy to prepare really filled up the pan. Since I am not a master baker I followed the clear instructions completely, with the exception of adding a bit more cinnamon and some nutmeg as a sub for the pumpkin pie spice. Thank you Marie!
I love this recipe. I have made it every year for the last 4 or 5 years at holiday time. It is so easy to make & is so delicious. I make it for Thanksgiving and also for gifts at Christmas. I make some for home too!
Excellant! I made one change, I used baked mashed sweet potatoes instead of the pumpkin. My family has really enjoyed the terrific blend of flavors. Thanks for sharing!!