Recipe by coconutty
By scoochmaroo... Posted for safekeeping - I haven't tried this recipe, but it sounds awesome! Prep time is a wild guess, and note that the baking time will vary with the size of the muffins. This recipe yields 12 standard muffins; you will need to adjust for other sizes.
Top Review by Madeline J.
This recipe made more than a dozen muffins. I filled the (regular) muffin tins only half full and added a tablespoon of topping. Trying to "swirl" the cream cheese mixture into the muffin mix only swirled the cream cheese mixture. I ended up with cream cheese "caps" on top...I also felt that the batter could have been a little bit sweeter.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180C).
- PUMPKIN MIXTURE:.
- Mix canned pumpkin, oil, and sugar together, either by hand or with a mixer on low.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, combining thoroughly after each.
- Add vanilla.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Slowly add flour mixture to liquids, combining thoroughly and scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula until well combined.
- CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE:.
- Mix together cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla until well combined.
- Grease muffin tins or line with paper cups.
- Fill each muffin mold with spoonfuls of pumpkin mixture (this is not explained clearly in the text but the accompanying photos look as if the muffin molds are filled to nearly full with the pumpkin mixture).
- Add smaller spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture on top.
- Swirl with a skewer.
- Optional: top with crushed nuts - can also use pumpkin seeds (pepitas).
- Bake as follows, turning the tins half way through baking times:.
- mini muffins: 20-25 minute.
- standard muffins: 25-30 minute.
- jumbo muffins: 30-40 minute.