Cinnamon Swirl Muffins
photo by Michellebakes
- Ready In:
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 110 g caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 225 ml milk
- 85 g butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 75 g light brown sugar (soft)
- Preheat the oven to 190deg C/375 deg F/ Gas Mark 5. Grease 10 cups of a 12 cup muffin tin or line 10 cups with paper muffin cases. For the cinnamon sugar, mix together the cinnamon and the light brown sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- For the Muffins, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, mix together the egg, milk and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients and mix briefly until just combined (I used a spatula, and made sure it was still lumpy).
- Put a tablespoon of the batter into each prepared muffin cup. Sprinkle each muffin with a heaped teaspoon of cinnamon sugar, then spoon some more batter and cinnamon sugar into the muffin cup. Finish with a layer of batter, dividing it evenly. Using a fine skewer or the tip of a sharp knife, swirl the mixture in each muffin cup to achieve the marbled effect.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 mins, or until risen and golden. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes (the sugar mixture will remain really hot, so don't be tempted to try them sooner), then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or cold. These can be frozen too!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!