Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Except for special occasions I like to try to serve my family healthy food, including desserts. This one is delicious and actually has some very good nutritional value.
- 1 cup chopped prune
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats, not quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- Combine the prunes, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice in a small pt.
- Cook, stirring over low heat until thick.
- Cool completely.
- blend remaining ingredients until crumbly.
- Pack half the oat mixture firmly into the bottom of a greased 8 inch square pan.
- Spread with prunes and then top with remaining oat mixture.
- Pat lightly into the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting.
I found there was not enough prune mixture so I added more prunes. Maybe I didn't chop them small enough. I didn't have any lemons so I substituted some orange zest and mango juice for cooking the prunes. I had lemon zest but thought orange would go well. I didn't add any sugar to the prunes as I think they were sweet enough. I only used 1/2 cup butter in the crumble mixture. My husband and I both liked these squares.
Yummy. My daughter will eat prunes this way! I think that next time I will try to make this with 1/3 of a cup of butter.
Geema, these are so delicious. I used 1/4 cup splenda for the sugar. They smelled so good when they were baking that we could hardly wait to sample them. Thank you for another great recipe.