Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make the pastry in a food processor..These bars are decadent!!You will need additional powdered sugar to dust the tops of these bars
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut small pieces, softened
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup prune, snipped with scissors
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- TO MAKE THE PASTRY:.
- Place the cream cheese, butter, flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process just until a dough begins to form. Turn out onto a floured surface and gather into a ball. Place on a piece of plastic wrap, flatten slightly, wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.or unti chilled.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING:.
- Combine the prunes and orange juice in a small non aluminum saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the prunes absorb all of the moisture, about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Place in a food processor and process until the consistency is fairly smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in orange zest and walnuts.Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400*.Cut a piece of foil to fit the bottom of a 9" square pan. Place the foil on a work surface -- Lightly butter the pan.
- Remove the chilled pastry from the refrigerator and divide in half -- Place one half in the center of the foil and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough the fit the foil -- Trim the edges flush with the foil, as needed and use the trimmings to patch the rounded corners and make them square, trimming with a small knife as needed.
- Invert the foil into the prepared pan.carefully peel off the foil.Reserve the foil for the remaining pastry.
- Spread the pastry lined pan with a thin, even layer of prune filling.
- Roll out the remaining half of the pastry as previously described.Invert the pastry over the filling, peel off the foil.
- Lightly brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350*.and bake for 25 minutes or unti the top is golden and the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool on a wire rack.Dust the top with powdered sugar sifted through a small strainer.
- Cut into 18 bars.