Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was found in Hometown Recipes from Mary Prieto of New Mexico. It is very good spicy and moist cake.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup bite size pitted prune, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add sugar and beat well.
- Mix in oil.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in butter milk.
- Sift flour, salt, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture to egg mixture.
- Fold in prunes.
- Pour batter into pan and bake about 1 hour or until a tooth-pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To prepare the frosting, combine sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, butter and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Poke holes in cake with a fork or long toothpick and pour over cake while both are still warm.
- NOTE: Soak prunes briefly in boiling water so they can be chopped easily after they are drained and cooled. The baking powder causes the icing to foam while cooking.