Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very good, simple vegetarian black bean soup. Originally came from back of a box of Premium Saltines (hence the name). The recipe originally called for chicken broth, but I use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (24 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 lime, juice of
- In a 4 quart saucepan, cook onion and cumin over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Add 2 cans black beans and vegetable broth to the pot. Puree with a stick blender.
- Stir in remaining black beans, salsa, and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
I'm so glad I tried this... I'm not a salsa lover but was looking for an easy soup and I do love black beans. The first day it seemed just OK but the next day it had become outstanding! I'd make sure to give it a day or two for the flavors to blend.... It was so easy to make even my husband could do it! Thanks Bill
This was excellent and very easy. I cut the cumin in half and instead of pureeing the two cans of beans I just mashed them as much as I could with a potato masher. Took to a church potluck and got many compliments and a few requests for the recipe as well as a request to make it again for a soup dinner next weekend. Thanks for the recipe Bill!
I enjoyed this soup and took it to a church potluck, where one man ate practically all of it over noodles! Thanks Bill! I'm so glad I picked you for the Pick a Chef(PAC) game!