Recipe by English_Rose
This spicy, zingy Creole dish with juicy prawns can be frozen for up to 1 month. To freeze: transfer to a container, label and freeze for up to 1 month. To eat: defrost at room temperature for 8 hours, or in the fridge for 24 hours. Microwave in portions, 2 at a time, on full power for 3 minutes (for a 900W microwave), gently stirring halfway, until piping hot throughout. Serve with Tabasco and lime wedges. This is terrific with a glass of chilled, ripe rosé.
- 1 (5 ounce) piece chorizo sausage, diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 celery ribs, finely sliced diagonally
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 7 ounces long-grain rice
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups chicken stock, hot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, plus extra to serve
- 7 ounces raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
- lime wedge, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the chorizo in a wide, deep frying pan over a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the peppers, onion, celery, garlic and chili to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until softened slightly. Stir in the thyme and rice, cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, stock and Tabasco and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste.
- Stir in the chorizo, shrimp and scallions and cook for 1 minute. Serve or cool completely to freeze.