Recipe by CountryLady
I've been making this one from Good Housekeeping for years!
Top Review by Mark g. R.
It is not necessary to cover. I melt olive oil & butter & brush on each layer.. Salt & pepper of course. I have finely ground dried rosemary which I sprinkle very lightly on several layers & top off with a sprinkle of grated parmesan & a dash of ceyenne. Okay I changed it slightly but the finished results with the very brown crust of parmesan is fantastic. The best you could ever want a potato taste. Do this in a heavy cast iron skillet. The true secret is too crust the bottom layer of potatoes on top the stove till it sizzles then put in the oven.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled &,sliced 1/4 inch thick
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange& overlap potato slices in a greased 8 inch pie plate.
- Melt butter in a skillet& stir in salt; drizzle over potatoes.
- Cover plate tightly with foil& bake in preheated 425 oven for 20 minutes.
- Uncover& bake an additional 55 minutes or until potatoes are very tender& crusty; let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Using a metal spatula, carefully loosen the potatoes from the pie plate& place an inverted serving plate over the potatoes; Holding both plates, invert& unmold, then cut into wedges.