Slow Cooker Latin Chicken W/ Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans
From Good Housekeeping magazine. I am cooking it right now, so I haven't tried it, but it sounds so good! I substituted chicken breasts for the thighs and 1/2 tsp of chipotles in adobo for the paprika.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 15mins
- 3 lbs bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 3 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- lime wedge
- Sprinkle chicken thighs with 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Heat 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until hot;add chicken and cook until browned on all sides.
- While chicken is cooking put beans and sweet potatoes in slow-cooker.
- Place chicken on bean mix in slow-cooker.
- In skillet, mix paprika, allspice, broth, remaining cumin, salsa, and garlic.
- Pour this over chicken in crock pot.
- Cover with lid and cook on low 8 hrs or 4 hrs on high.
- Remove chicken to platter. Gently stir red pepper into potato mixture.
- Spoon over chicken. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Very tasty! Way past done at 7 hours on low in my crockpot. I will reduce time or cook on an induction burner the next time. The sweet potatoes were a little too mushy. I’m sure this is due to the variance in crock pot brands. I sure do miss my old Rival crockpot! Like others, I’m not sure the peppers added much to the dish. I will also use a hotter salsa next time.
Wow! This was fantastic! Admittedly, I didn't have thighs (used breast cutlets) and I didn't have the red peppers to add at the end, but even with those changes it was delicious. Will definitely be shopping for the missing ingredients to do it as written next time. Easy to put together and lovely to just lift the lid at mealtime and eat! Thanks so much.
I've made this dish several times and it is VERY easy to customize to what you have on hand. <br/><br/>The first time I made it exact to the recipe and I went back for seconds and thirds! <br/><br/>I've only made it one more time in the crockpot; I find it easier to make on the stovetop in a covered skillet. It's done in 30 minutes, depending on what kind of chicken you use. <br/><br/>I prefer using bone-in for this recipe, but you can use anything. And white meat stays very tender because there is so much liquid that the chicken simmers in. <br/><br/>I don't use the roasted red peppers anymore, and I've omitted the lime and cilantro without losing much flavor. I think the cumin and allspice are really the flavors that pop in this dish. <br/><br/>Also, I think the stovetop cooking method works better because the sweet potatoes and black beans don't get overcooked. I also usually reduce the black beans to a single can. I will sometimes use the lime & cilantro flavored black beans so that I don't have to add the extra expense of adding the fresh cilantro & lime to the dish.<br/><br/>This is one of my go-to dishes, and I think it would be very to impress company because it is a little unusual.