Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is posted for the World Tour 2005 event. I've not yet tried this recipe, but know I will soon. The source is The Irish Heritage Cookbook by Margaret M. Johnson.
- 2 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and cut in 2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, tarragon, etc.)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (measured after shredding)
- Cook potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and mash.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter a 6 cup souffle dish.
- Cook the butter and onion over medium heat until soft (4 - 5 minutes), add to the mashed potatoes. Stir in the egg yolks, and creams. Season with salt and pepper. Add herbs and Parmesan cheese, and stir until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, glossy peaks form. Stir 2 tbsp of the egg whites into the potato mixture to loosen it, then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the buttered souffle dish, and bake until golden brown - 20 to 25 minutes. Start checking after 15 minutes.
Tasted fantastic - had to sub spring onion (scallion) for onion due to allergy issues, therefore skipped first part of step 3 and mixed everything together. The fresh herbs I used were parsley, rosemary, oregano and garlic chives. It took about 30 minutes in the oven and I would say 6 serves. I think it would be interesting to make as individual serves and maybe put some extra parmesan and a sprinkle of ground paprika on top. One word of warning though beat your egg whites just before you are going to use them - I did mine a little too early and they deflated a bit otherwise I think it would have been super light. Will be doing again.
This turned out as advertised. Picking the right herbs is the key for family enjoyment. Use potatoes that contain the most starch. It keeps them from deflating. My Irish stamp of approval, for sure.
Excellent recipe! I made as suggested and turned out great. Thank you :)