This is my final recipe entry from *Cool Cuisine* (Traditional Icelandic Cuisine) by Nanna Rognvaldardottir & I suppose it's only fitting it should feature the much-revered potato. Per the intro: "Potato salad is served w/many meat dishes, esp steaks, grilled meat & sausages. There is a wide variety of recipes, but this 1 is the most popular." (This recipe begins w/the eggs & potatoes already cooked, so that time is not reflected) *Enjoy* !
- 1 3⁄4 lbs potatoes (boiled tender, peeled & cubed)
- 3 eggs (hard-boiled & chopped)
- 2 apples (peeled, cored & chopped)
- 6 -8 gherkins (chopped)
- 1⁄4 onion (chopped, larger amt if desired)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (or up to 1 tsp)
- lemon juice (optional as desired)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Peel & cube potatoes. Chop eggs. Peel, core & chop the apples. Chop gherkins & onion.
- Mix 1st 7 ingredients (potatoes thru sour cream) in a lrg bowl.
- Add curry powder, lemon juice (if using), salt + pepper to taste pref & stir well. Refrigerate for at least 6 hrs prior to serving.
Great potato salad. I've never had a potato salad with apples, sour cream, or curry before. It was a nice change of pace and my grandson loved it. Thanks twissis for sharing. Made for ZWT9.
WOW! This potato salad is very, very yummy! The apple, curry, eggs, gherkins and potatoes go so well together and the salad tastes fresh with an exotic touch. I subbed yoghurt for the mayonnaise and left out the lemon juice due to the yoghurt being quite sour already. Your directions were easy to follow and overall the recipe quick to make. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this scrumptious recipe with us, twissis! Ill definitely make it again! Made and reviewed for An Apple A Day Tag Game Octobre 09.