Recipe by Amber Roe
From the wonderful Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. This soup is great year round.
Top Review by Jessica Lynn Montgomerie
This was a big hit when I had guest for dinner! It was easy enough that I'll make it regularly. I do think it's worth the extra few minutes to saute the veggies and herbs before adding stock or water. I melted a few tablespoons of butter in the dutch oven and sauteed the potatoes, leeks, celery, carrots, and herbs until the veggies started to "sweat." Then I added vegetable broth. If you don't have an immersion blender, ask Santa to bring you one! It's so much better than transferring back and forth.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 cups cleaned chopped leeks
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch chunks.
- Place them in a soup pot or Dutch oven with the leeks, celery, carrot, water and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat, and let it cool until it's no longer too hot to puree.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor in batches.
- Return the puree to the pot.
- Stir in the milk.
- Add black pepper to taste and adjust salt if necessary.
- Serve hot or cold, possibly topped with a sprinkling of fresh hebs.