Roasted Potato Leek Soup (Ina Garten Back to Basics)
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 4 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts, cleaned of all sand (4 leeks)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, plus extra for serving
- 6 -7 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra (to garnish)
- crispy shallot (see under separate Crispy Shallots ( Ina Garten Back to Basics) Crisy Shallots for it ) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the potatoes and leeks on a sheet pan in a single layer. Add the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss to coat the vegetables evenly. Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning them with a spatula a few times during cooking, until very tender. Add the arugula and toss to combine. Roast for 4-5 more minutes, until the arugula is wilted. Remove the pan from the oven and place over two burners. Stir in the wine and 1 cup of the chicken stock and cook over low heat, scraping up any crispy roasted bits sticking to the pan.
- In batches, transfer the roasted vegetables to a food processor fitted with the steel blade, adding the pan liquid and about 5 cups of the chicken stock to make a puree. Pour the puree into a large pot or Dutch oven. Continue to puree the vegetables in batches until they're all done and combined in the large pot. Add enough of the remaining 1 to 2 cups of stock to make a thick soup. Add the cream, cream fraiche, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and check the seasonings.
- When ready to serve, reheat the soup gently and whisk in 2 tablespoons white wine and the Parmesan cheese. Serve hot with an extra grating of Parmesan cheese and Crispy Shallots, if using.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!