Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
In ‘Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible’
Make and share this Pot-Roasted Turkey Breast With Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (6 lb) bone-in turkey breast, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 large vidalia onions, cut into chunks
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 cups turkey broth or 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Rub the turkey breast inside and out with the butter.
- Generously sprinkle salt and pepper all over.
- Sprinkle the sage all over.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add the turkey, breast side down, and cook until the skin is dark golden brown on all sides, 7-10 minutes.
- Using tongs, lift out the turkey breast and scatter the onion and rosemary on the bottom of the pan.
- Return the turkey, breast side up, to the pan.
- Pour ¾ cup of the broth into the pan; cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Stir the carrots, potatoes, and celery into the pan juices, coating well.
- Cover and continue baking until the vegetables are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees, 1 to 1 ½ hours longer.
- Transfer the turkey breast to a cutting board and tent loosely with foil.
- Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and cover with foil.
- Pour the pan juices from the Dutch oven into a measuring cup or gravy separator.
- Let stand until the fat rises to the top, 1-2 minutes.
- Skim off the fat and reserve 3 tablespoons, discarding the rest.
- Add the pan juices to the remaining 2 ¼ cups broth.
- Return the 3 tablespoons fat to the pan and place on a burner over med-high heat.
- Scrape up any browned bits from the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk in the broth mixture and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Strain the gravy.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- To serve, carve the breast and lay it on a pretty platter with the vegetables scattered around.
- Pass the gravy at the table.