Yam Casserole With Pecan Crumble
photo by Sassy J
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 -4 medium yams (2 1/2 lb.) or 3 -4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick rounds (2 1/2 lb.)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 20 crackers)
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with oil or coat with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and cayenne pepper.
- Arrange 1/3 of the yams in an even layer on the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Season with 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t each of black pepper and thyme.
- Pour in 2/3 c of the cream mixture.
- Repeat for 2 more layers.
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, Parmesan, pecans, and melted butter.
- Give it a good stir so the butter coats the crackers and pecans.
- Scatter the mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until the top is golden brown, the yams are tender, and the house is filled with the most wonderful sweet and buttery smells, 30-45 minutes longer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!