Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Excellent muffins from a recipe on the Post 100% Bran Cereal box, Kraft Canada. Makes 12 large muffins. Store in airtight container for immediate use. Muffins also freeze well. Cool completely, wrap, label, date, place in airtight container and freeze.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups 100% all-bran cereal
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit; grease 12 large muffin tins or line with paper baking cups.
- Combine milk and lemon juice or vinegar and set aside for a few minutes (a substitute for the 1 cup buttermilk in the original recipe).
- Beat egg in large mixing bowl with a fork; blend in oil, honey and soured milk or buttermilk; stir in cereal and raisins or dates; set aside.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl; stir liquid mixture into dry ingredients, just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, generously filling each to the top (I use an ice cream scoop with a release lever).
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes or until done. COOL.
lost my mom's recipe for honey bran muffins with dates - hunted & found this one which I believe is almost identical - made them as listed - but I will not put the cinnamon in next time & I like a bit sweeter muffin so may increase the honey a bit but the texture, and how nice they turned out was just as I remembered - and love them with dates. Will make these again with just a couple tweeks!
These sure beat the boxed mixes. Easy to do with a lot more flavour. I like the raisins in it. May add some nuts next time just for a change.
I've made these many times in the past, I usually double the recipe and make in jumbo muffin tins. This is a wonderful recipe for bran muffins, they really rise nice and high! thanks for posting...Kittencal:)