Honey Raisin Bran Muffins
photo by mary winecoff
- Ready In:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups 100% all-bran cereal (Nabisco is the one I use for this)
- 1 cup raisins (or dates)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- If the raisins are hard, let them sit in boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl comine milk and vinegar; set aside.
- In another bowl beat egg with a fork.
- Blend in oil, honey, vanilla and soured milk.
- Stir in the 100% bran cereal and raisins to the milk/vinegar mixture, along with the honey/oil mixture; stir to combine; set aside for 10 minutes to soften the bran.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; stir in to liquid mixture stirring JUST until moistened.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins (filling almost to the top).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Just a note, I submitted a 'correction' to this recipe - 3/4 cup of brown sugar is listed in the ingredients but does not mention when to add it in the directions. I included it within the section of combining flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt... I have actually made a similar mistake when one of my recipes was published. A little embarrassing but no big deal. Thanks so much for the recipe!