1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
What do you do with all that leftover turkey? This dish serves a lot of people, freezes well, and tastes even better the next day. The spice amounts below are guidelines and should be adjusted depending on your taste, how much leftover meat you have and how much water you use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 turkey carcass (neck and leftovers)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon your favorite hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Break up turkey carcass and place with leftover meat in a large stock pot.
- 2Cover completely with water.
- 3Add chopped onion and bay leaf.
- 4Bring to boil then cover and simmer for 1 hour (Meat should fall easily from bone).
- 5Strain juices and pour back in pot, along with one or two cans of chicken broth for a fuller flavor (Boullion is also OK, but keep in mind you will have less liquid to work with).
- 6Separate meat and chop any large pieces, then return to pot.
- 7Discard any bones, skin, leftover stuffing and other non-edibles.
- 8Add beans, tomatoes, garlic and spices.
- 9Simmer, uncovered, for twenty minutes to reduce liquid.
- 10You may wish to add a bit of flour, if the sauce is thin: To minimize lumps, ladle a cup of liquid into a mixing bowl and whisk in flour a teaspoon at a time, then stir into chili (Keep in mind that chili will thicken in the refrigerator or freezer, so if you are planning to store it, a little thin is OK).
- 11Serve and garnish with shredded cheese, chopped onions, scallions, cilantro and sour cream, or dip with crackers.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Post-Thanksgiving Turkey Chili
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.0
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 577.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: