Where's the beef? No one will miss it with these delictable burgers. Serve on lightly toasted whole wheat rolls with grilled onions for a healthy lunch or dinner meal.
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 4 whole wheat rolls
- sliced tomato (optional)
- romaine lettuce leaf (optional)
- sliced grilled onion (optional)
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Cut stems off of mushrooms and place smooth side up in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the marinade by whisking together the vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, and garlic.
- Pour the marinade over the mushrooms and allow to stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the mushrooms on the preheated grill, reserving the marinade for basting
- Grill mushrooms for 5 to 8 minutes per side, basting frequently with marinade.
- During the last 2 minutes of grilling, top with cheese.
- Serve with the whole wheat rolls and condiments of your choice.