Recipe by Handiecookie
I proposed your contest to our neighborhood (all excellent cooks) for a little fun. Here is the concoction I came up with. This would do wonderfull to start that meal for someone special but be sure to grease the pan before you bake or you will have an outrageous mess.
Top Review by Susie D
I reduced this to make 2 servings and subbed 4 oz of crab for the chicken breast. I found the mixture quite 'sloshy' and had a hard time getting it to stay in the mushroom caps. Other than that these were easy to prepare. The filling did bake up firm and the texture is more quiche like than a traditional stuffed mushroom. I liked the flavor and the bread crumb topping was a plus. Thanks for sharing your RSC creation!!
- 4 medium portabella mushroom caps
- 1 cup cooked fresh spinach
- 1 large chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- 2 fresh limes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 dash light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir fry chicken (cut into ½ inch cubes) in olive oil with basil, onion powder and soy.
- Add any center stalks from mushrooms (chopped) when chicken is brown.
- Drain oil.
- In separate bowl mix broth, spinach, garlic, and chicken mixture.
- Allow to cool a few minutes.
- Stir eggs into cool mixture with a little salt and black pepper.
- Melt butter and rub mushroom caps.
- Add any excess butter into chicken/spinach/broth mixture.
- Pour mixture into mushroom caps and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350, in greased pan, for thirty minutes or until egg mix thickens.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice on top of each and serve.