Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a fantastic easy meal that is a real winner each time. I make mine with lots of ground pepper for a slighty hotter sauce and the trick is to have a pan with a very tight lid I use a pan that is used for soup making.
- 4 slices good bacon or 4 slices ham, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil, extra for onions
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (50 g) packetmeat gravy mix, preferably spicy and with pimentos
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 -6 bone-in rib pork loin chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leave
- 1 bay leaf
- Fry the bacon on a medium heat until brown and slightly crisp.
- Remove and set aside.
- Turn the heat down and into the same pan add 1 tbs of oil and fry the onions until golden, add the garlc, bay leaf and thyme-Remove and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering, 2 to 3minutes.
- Meanwhile, pat the chops dry with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the chops in the pan in a single layer and cook until a deep brown crust forms, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the chops over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a pan that has a very tight lid.
- Arrange the chops on the bottom and cover with the onions.
- Mix the packet of instant gravy mix with the stock and the flour and pour over the top of the onions.
- Sprinkle with remaining bacon and place the lid on tightly cook for 20 minutes on a medium heat.
- Remove the lid and keep reducing the sauce until it is of a gravy like consistency.
Ok I am not giving this any stars because I don't think I can give it a fair rating. My dad and husband loved this, but for me it was just ok. I don't think it was the fault of the recipe though. I doubled it and my chicken broth was really "chickeny" and that with the combination of the thyme sort of reminded me too much of turkey. The pork chops did turn out super moist though.
This was an easy to make meal that didn't require use of the oven for 1 hour. Wonderful, tender chops with a yummy gravy. will be making it again soon.
excellent dish. I didn't have any brown gravy mix so I used the country gravy mix, and canned chicken broth, Lots and lots of thin sliced onions and lots of pepper ; ) It was so good I will probably dream about it..Thank you for posting the recipe, Lani Kai.