Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
From a recipe book on 18th century frontier outpost recipes.
- 3 -4 lbs fresh pork
- 1 large onion
- salt and pepper
- 1 quart sauerkraut
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- Rub pork with salt and pepper. Place in a pot (with a lid - if possible) and cover with water, adding onion cut into pieces.
- Boil meat until tender, remove excess fat.
- Add sauerkraut and simmer about 20 minutess.
- Mix dry dumpling ingredients together.
- Add milk gradually mixing well then add the melted butter.
- Drop by spoonsful into boiling pork and kraut.
- Cook 15 minutes covered.